Re: Western Europe and 1252

From: Martin Kochanski (unicode@cardbox.net)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 06:19:23 EDT

Well - in this case the description is aimed at an end user, for whom Unicode is an irritation rather than a benefit (since it makes him have to think for five seconds about character encodings from time to time - if only because it breaks compatibility with things like Windows 95 Notepad or Word 2.0). To say to him "we are causing you this inconvenience so that we can sell more software to Japan" will not make him grateful AT ALL.

Thus I'm not trying to exhort, or make a business case for using Unicode, I'm trying to seduce gently. End users, if they are librarians of a small charitable foundation somewhere in rural England, will have no real use for Unicode, and it seems much more honest to admit that at the beginning. If their bit of rural England happens to be near Wales, then there is a slight benefit; if they have to deal with Slavs, there is more... and so the seduction can begin.