RE: Western Europe and 1252

From: Alan Wood (alan.wood@context.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 11:51:50 EDT

Dave Possin wrote:

> I recall reading a EC/EU document a few years back that stated that all
> text software used within European organizations must be able to
> produce documention covering all European member languages and all
> possible future member languages simultaneously by a certain date.
>
> Does anybody recall this requirement and know where to find it? It also
> mentioned that every nation needs to respect any language spoken within
> the Union and must be able to produce the content of any official
> document in any of these languages.

This cannot be law yet, or Apple could not sell OS 9 or OS X 10, which do
not have Greek keyboards.

You may be thinking of CELEX document 32001D0048:

2001/48/EC: Council Decision of 22 December 2000
adopting a multiannual Community programme to stimulate the development and
use of European digital content on the global networks and to promote
linguistic diversity in the information society

This includes:

(12) Community actions undertaken concerning the content of information
should respect the Union's multilingual and multicultural character and
encourage initiatives that facilitate access to digital information in the
languages of present and candidate countries.

(16) The Commission has published in January 1999 a Green Paper on public
sector information in the information society, launching a European debate
on this topic.

The programme does not end until 18th January 2005, so it will be a while
before there is any legislation.

Alan Wood
Documentation Writer / Web Master
Context Limited (http://www.context.co.uk)