Western Europe and 1252

From: Martin Kochanski (unicode@cardbox.net)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 03:54:51 EDT

Writing a simple introduction to Unicode for ordinary users ("why are you giving me all those features I never asked for?"), I was about to concede that code page 1252 already covers the Western European languages. Then I realised that it doesn't, because neither Welsh nor Maltese can be properly expressed in 1252.

For the sake of completeness, are there any other living Western European languages that need Unicode? From the recent correspondence, it seems that Catalan would not be on that list.

- Martin Kochanski.