Re: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Units

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 05:58:29 EDT

Michael Everson wrote,

> At 15:22 -0400 2002-08-07, James E. Agenbroad wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure where this discussion is going but isn't there a proposal to
> >assign a single code to the Arabic invocational phrase which translates
> >into English as "In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate"? I
> >will not attempt to count either the number of letters in the Arabic
> >original or the number of combining characters.
>
> Yes, the Bismillah is under ballot. However it will have no decomposition.
> --

Why not? Is this a way of sneaking it past the current policy of
not encoding any new characters which decompose?

"BISMILLAH ARRAHMAN ARRAHIM" is proposed for U+FDFD, which
puts it in the presentation forms area. At normal text sizes it will
probably not be distinguishable from U+25CF.

Calling this phrase a character makes about as much sense as encoding
the word "FAX" at U+213B, which is also apparently under consideration.

Best regards,

James Kass.