Re: Pronunciation of U+0429 (was RE: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Uni ts)

From: David Possin (dave_i18n@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 15:09:13 EDT

It is getting quite hard to make the fine differences of sounds visible
with a few Latin letters.

In a different email Rick points out that my version is too hard, that
he has been told the sound is even softer, like 'shdsh' maybe? My feel
would be that using 'ch' or even 'tch' would make it harder, harsher.
That could also just be my take with German 'ch' in mind.

I will take a walk to the other side of our building and visit a
Russian software consulting company (they represent Russian software
companies in the US). Let's see how many different opinions I'll get
there. ;-)

Dave

--- David Starner <starner@okstate.edu> wrote:
> At 11:00 AM 8/8/02 -0700, David Possin wrote:
> >I have seen the German transliteration being 'schtsch' for it,
> English
> >would be 'shtsh' with 'sh' spoken like "sharp" in both cases. The
> >German 'ch' sound is very different.
>
> Shouldn't that be 'shch' for English? I've seen that before, and it
> makes more sense.

=====
Dave Possin
Globalization Consultant