Re: Pronunciation of U+0429 (was RE: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Uni ts)

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 15:55:38 EDT

> I will take a walk to the other side of our building and visit a
> Russian software consulting company (they represent Russian software
> companies in the US). Let's see how many different opinions I'll get
> there. ;-)

Yes, please! I had four different Russian teachers and one of them
was Russian, and they all used the schoolbook pronunciation (schtsch),
plus when I went to Moscow, I don't recall hearing the well-known
words that contain that letter being pronounced any differently than
I heard in school. Also I've never heard a recording of Volga Boatman
where they didn't hit it hard :-)

- Frank