Re: [unicode] Re[2]: Pronunciation of U+0429

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 13:33:38 EDT

Marco Cimarosti scripsit:

> Uh!? Are you thinking about children from ethnic minorities? Russian
> children are supposed to be already able to speak Russian when they go to
> school: I guess what they learn is "that sound has that letter", not the
> other way round.

Russophones, like anglophones, know perfectly well that most words are not
pronounced as written (granted, the number of utterly-beyond-hope words
like "one" [wUn] is much greater in English), and thus have the notion of
"pronouncing words as written", so unnatural to peoples with more phonemic
orthographies.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Promises become binding when there is a meeting of the minds and consideration