Re: [unicode] Re[2]: Pronunciation of U+0429

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 14:01:10 EDT

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 07:16:09PM +0200, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> > > What's the orthography got to do with it??
> >
> > if the children in schools are taught that "щ" is pronounced
> > as "шч", they (those who are paying atention) will remember it
> > and then use this pronunciation when asked to pronounce each phoneme
> > of a given word.
>
> Uh!? Are you thinking about children from ethnic minorities? Russian

no, I am speaking about Russians

> children are supposed to be already able to speak Russian when they go to
> school: I guess what they learn is "that sound has that letter", not the
> other way round.

I have no idea how it is in Russian school system, but:
1) they can speak a dialect
2) as it was already pointed out, щ, when transcribed phoneticaly,
is written as шч in Russian literature.
When I was being taught Russian (5th grade, elementary school),
there was never ever a mention that щ can be pronounced differently
from шч combination. Indeed, when our teacher explained cyrillic, she
took a special effort to explain that in Russian, шч combination
is written as щ (with some exceptions, of course, such as счастие).
Also in Russian textbooks, there was written everywhere that when
pronunciation is concerned, щ=шч. But again, these were textbooks
written by Slovaks, for Slovak pupils (and not particularly good,
e.g. until I started to read real Russian literature I had no
idea that ё is often written as е. It took me some time to get out
of this confusion :-))