Re: Furigana

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 21:26:18 EDT

Ken,

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/uni2book/ch13.pdf

As I read that material, I take it to be saying that senders should
remove the I.A. characters.
Does the standard discuss anywhere filtering the characters on the
receiver side?

Clearly Murray has good justification for removing the I.A. characters
as it interferes with his use of the code points internally. (Although I
am sure that could also be designed in ways to preserve them if
absolutely needed.)

But does the standard address their removal by receivers (or
intermediaries) , and does removing them include removing the contained
annotation?

I can imagine an application that doesn't support I.A. deciding the
annotation is out of band and can't be preserved in its plain text
output, and so justifiably strips it as well.
Does the standard say what to do with "for internal use" only
characters?

I would have thought the rule was to ignore and pass along.

Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> Michael,
>
> > At 14:16 -0700 2002-08-13, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> Read the discussion which has been published in the Unicode Standard
> ever since these things were available. TUS 3.0, pp. 325 - 326.

> "The annotation characters are used in internal processing when
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> out-of-band information is associated with a character stream, very
> similarly to the usage of the U+FFFC OBJECT REPLACEMENT CHARACTER..."
>
> "Usage of the annotation characters in plain text interchange is
> strongly discouraged without prior agreement between the sender
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> and received because the content may be misinterpreted otherwise..."
>
> "When an output for plain text usage is desired and when the receiver
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> is unknown to the sender, these interlinear annotation characters
> should be removed..."
>
> The Japanese national body was very clear about this, and was opposed
> to these going into the standard unless such clarifications were made,
> to ensure that these were not intended for plain text interchange
> of furigana (or other similar annotations).
>
> --Ken

Making e-Business Work Around the World