RE: Furigana

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 22:06:25 EDT

I agree. The current thinking is that U+FFF9 - U+FFFB are have no
external meaning and shouldn't appear externally, i.e., they are
noncharacters in every way except in the spec (sigh). They can be used
for whatever an implementer wants internally. I mentioned earlier that
the RichEdit edit engine uses them for table-row delimiters, which have
nothing to do with Furigana. Instead, RichEdit 5.0 uses codes from the
U+FDD0 - U+FDEF block for Furigana and various 2D math objects.

Thanks
Murray