Re: Furigana

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 00:27:12 EDT

James Kass scripsit:

> Should a character encoding standard ever encode a non-character?

Non-characters aren't encoded, they're reserved either for specific
purposes or for any desired purpose.

> Is there such a thing as a non-character with a specific semantic
> meaning?

Why not?

> Can't apps needing internal processing code points which
> are only going to be deleted before export simply use the PUA?

No, because they may need the PUA to represent characters interchanged
under a private agreement.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."