Re: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Units

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 00:33:38 EDT

Roozbeh Pournader wrote in reply to Michael Everson,

> > Because it isn't a "logo", is used officially and obligatorily in
> > government documents in at least two countries, one of which does not
> > normally use the Arabic script, and it isn't reasonable to expect
> > people to type it in
>
> I can't understand why everyone talks about typing the thing letter by
> letter. Which other compatiblity character is typed in letter by letter?
> VULGAR FRACTION ONE HALF?!

It's certainly possible to assign a string to a single key. We used
to assign frequently typed strings to various function keys way
back in dBASE III. Nowadays, strings can be assigned to a single
keystroke by way of keyboard driver.

A further note about the proposed "character", a user who is
expecting to see this presentation form would probably be
quite dismayed to find a missing glyph in its place. That may
well be a frequent occurence, especially at first.

Best regards,

James Kass.