Re: Double Macrons on gh (was Re: Tildes on Vowels)

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 09:36:37 EDT

> U+0360 COMBINING DOUBLE TILDE

> U+035D COMBINING DOUBLE BREVE
> U+035E COMBINING DOUBLE MACRON
> U+035F COMBINING DOUBLE LOW LINE

I also note U+0361 COMBINING DOUBLE INVERTED BREVE and U+0362 COMBINING
DOUBLE RIGHTWARDS ARROW BELOW in the code chart.

I wonder if someone could please clarify how an advanced format font would
be expected to use such codes.

I understand from an earlier posting in this thread that the format to use
in a Unicode plain text file would be as follows.

first letter then combining double accent then second letter

As first letter and second letter could be theoretically almost any other
Unicode characters, would the approach be to just place all three glyphs
superimposed onto the screen and hope that the visual effect is reasonable
or would a font have a special glyph within it for each of the permutations
of three characters which the font designer thought might reasonably occur
yet default to a superimposing of three glyphs for any unexpected
permutation which arises?

As a matter of interest, how many characters are there where such double
accents are likely to be used please? Is it just a few or lots?

While in this general area, could someone possibly say something about how
and why U+034F COMBINING GRAPHEME JOINER is used please?

William Overington