Double Macrons on gh (was Re: Tildes on Vowels)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 18:57:01 EDT

A propos of this long thread about display of combining macrons in
Middle English, morphing from tildes on vowels:

> In Mozilla 2002072104, Windows XP, I get perfectly good overlines on
> yagh (now). I'd be interested in seeing how it looked with the
> combining macra.

Please note that both the UTC and WG2 have approved a new set
of combining double accents:

U+035D COMBINING DOUBLE BREVE
U+035E COMBINING DOUBLE MACRON
U+035F COMBINING DOUBLE LOW LINE

for various transcriptions, including common English dictionary
pronunciation guide usages.

Once these become available in Unicode 4.0, I believe the preferred
representation to use for the gh-digraph-overlined would be:

<g, combining-double-macron, h>

Now, the question is, how long will it take for the fonts and
browsers to catch up on those forms, as well??

It might make sense to start testing them now with:

<n, combining-double-tilde, g>

to see how well they do. (U+0360 COMBINING DOUBLE TILDE)

--Ken

P.S. I'm getting fine display of all the combining marks for
the St. Erkenwald test page with
MSIE 6.0 running on Windows NT 4.0 (!) with Arial Unicode MS --
only the yoghs are missing. So I'm not sure what the problem
is that people are having on Windows XP.