Re: Double Macrons on gh (was Re: Tildes on Vowels)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 11:34:27 EDT

Martin Kochanski <unicode at cardbox dot net> wrote:

> I read, somewhere, that certain code point ranges had been allocated
> properties (such as LTR/RTL) in the Unicode tables even though some
> of them had not yet had characters defined for them. Possibly someone
> can penetrate the vagueness of this memory and confirm or deny?

Broad ranges of Planes 0 and 1 have been tentatively blocked out on the
Roadmap for RTL scripts. Software *MIGHT* be able to take advantage of
this and make certain assumptions (to the extent it is allowed to make
any assumptions at all about unassigned code points). But AFAIK there
are no promises that an LTR character or script might not be assigned to
these ranges, if space gets scarce enough.

> If this is the case, have U+035D - U+035F already been assigned the
> "COMBINING" property?

This is probably even vaguer and less reliable than the LTR/RTL
blocking. But again, I suppose you could make certain internal
optimizations based on the assumption (as of today) that characters in
that range are combining.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California