Re: Double Macrons on gh (was Re: Tildes on Vowels)

From: Martin Kochanski (unicode@cardbox.net)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 03:13:48 EDT

I read, somewhere, that certain code point ranges had been allocated properties (such as LTR/RTL) in the Unicode tables even though some of them had not yet had characters defined for them. Possibly someone can penetrate the vagueness of this memory and confirm or deny?

If this is the case, have U+035D - U+035F already been assigned the "COMBINING" property?

If I have got it wrong... perhaps something like this *should* be the case? Not for the cleverer properties (LTR, punctuation, numeric); but for something as basic as "should a user be allowed to position the cursor between this character and the previous one?", a generous allowance of code points *now* would let current software work tolerably well with future Unicode revisions, without revision.