Re: An idea for keeping U+FFFC usable. (spins off from Re: Furigana)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 04:38:45 EDT

On 08/14/2002 02:04:50 PM "William Overington" wrote:

>As this concerns the U+FFFC character and the Unicode Technical Committee
is
>due to meet next week, I think it might be helpful if this idea is
discussed
>before the meeting as a straightforward idea like this might mean that
the
>possibility to exchange U+FFFC characters at all if people want to do so
is
>not lost.

This does not solve any problems not already solved. This is not plain
text; it is a form of interchange markup and a higher-level protocol.
There are already higher-level markup protocols that accomplish this. The
standard already specifies that FFFC should not be exported from an
application or interchanged. There is no reason to change this.

>>Everybody will welcome the new conventional, graphical-type characters
>>and scripts that are coming with Unicode 4.0.
>
>What are those please?

See the "Proposed characters" section of the Unicode site.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>