Re: Romanized Cyrillic bibliographic data--viable fonts?

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 13:59:07 EDT

J M Craig wrote as follows.

[snipped]

>Any suggestions welcomed! Is there a tool out there that will allow you
>to edit a font to add a couple of missing characters?

You might like to have a look at Softy, which is a shareware font editor for
TrueType fonts. Softy can be used to produce new TrueType fonts and to edit
existing TrueType fonts.

http://users.iclway.co.uk/l.emmett/

There is some more information about Softy, including the correct email
address for registrations, at the following page.

http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/editors.html

Having a look for

Softy

and

Softy font

at http://www.yahoo.com might be helpful.

I am trying to obtain a copy of the tutorial by "Grumpy", so far without
success.

I have found the other tutorial and it is very useful.

I have had lots of fun with the Softy program and although I have not tried
to implement the U+FE20 and U+FE21 which you mention, I have tried various
experiments using Softy and have found it a very satisfactory package to
use.

Softy is shareware, so perhaps you might think it worth a try to find out if
it will help you do what you want to achieve.

Also, you might like to have a look at the SC UniPad program which I
mentioned earlier today in another thread. When I was studying your posting
I used SC UniPad to have a look at the various Cyrillic characters which you
mentioned. As far as I can tell at present SC UniPad does not position the
U+FE20 and U+FE21 characters as you might want them to appear, yet SC UniPad
would seem like a good way to key in the text, ready to copy and paste it
into another program which would be used to display the thus keyed text
using a font of your choice.

William Overington