Re: Summary of Unicode/language features in Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar"

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 19:01:21 EDT

* Deborah Goldsmith

| As promised, here is a very quick summary of the high points (as
| best I can remember without my reference materials at hand):
| [...]

Thank you very much for this. This kind of succinct no-nonsense
summary is worth its weight in gold. (Collecting the same information
through the normal sources might easily consume weeks.)

| 3. Unicode
|
| Support for text in bidirectional and complex writing systems
| (e.g. reordering) is now available in all Unicode applications,
| including Cocoa applications.

It would be nice to know what this means in term of the rendering
API. Is it possible to display RTL scripts without having the display
system reverse the text? I hope it is, since without this capability
proper bidi support is near-impossible to achieve.