Re: Summary of Unicode/language features in Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar"

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmit@apple.com)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 19:50:45 EDT

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 04:01 PM, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> Thank you very much for this. This kind of succinct no-nonsense
> summary is worth its weight in gold. (Collecting the same information
> through the normal sources might easily consume weeks.)

Hmmm. Since it was sent electronically, I'm not quite sure what its
weight in gold would be. :-)

> | 3. Unicode
> |
> | Support for text in bidirectional and complex writing systems
> | (e.g. reordering) is now available in all Unicode applications,
> | including Cocoa applications.
>
> It would be nice to know what this means in term of the rendering
> API. Is it possible to display RTL scripts without having the display
> system reverse the text? I hope it is, since without this capability
> proper bidi support is near-impossible to achieve.

By default, RTL scripts are displayed in compliance with the Unicode
bidirectional algorithm. It is of course possible to override this
through use of directional override characters. It's also possible to
use advanced APIs to disable bidi processing.

Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, Fonts & Unicode
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmit@apple.com