Re: Summary of Unicode/language features in Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar"

From: John Delacour (JD@Eremita.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 22:39:22 EDT

On Sat Aug 24 2002 - 13:18:08 EDT Deborah Goldsmith wrote:

>- Keyboards may be installed by dragging in the Finder to
>/Library/Keyboard Layouts/, ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts/, or
>/Network/Library/Keyboard Layouts/, then logging out and logging back
>in.

This is excellent news. I have just succeeded, with the invaluable
guidance of Alex Eulenberg, in installing a keyboard for polytonic
Greek that I have been developing and using, until today (when I
installed Jaguar), in OS 9 and in 10.1.5. This new facility makes it
simple for anyone with no technical knowledge to install a ready-made
keyboard layout.

>- Fonts to support Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Devanagari, Gujarati,
>Gurmukhi, Polytonic Greek, and Thai (some of these are optional
>installs)

Hmm. I wonder if this is what is causing problems. I have three or
four third party fonts to support polytonic Greek, including Arial
Unicode MS, which I placed in ~/Library/Fonts/ straight after
installing Jaguar. I have had no problem working in pGreek in MacOS 9
and 10.1.5. Until today it was possible to work on the same document
either in WorldText in Classic or in TextEdit and it was even
possible to drag pGreek text from WorldText to TextEdit. Text in a
document was displayed faultlessly in a single font.

Now, in Jaguar, if I open a plain text pGreek document in TextEdit,
about half the document is displayed in a clear font with apparently
only the pi (as always) being borrowed from the ascii set, and the
rest in a mixture of fonts. Literally as I was writing this, just
such a document in the background caused the machine to lock me out
with a rainbow wheel in order to re-display itself in a quite
different mixture of Greek fonts. If I select a characters I find the
pi is in Monaco from the MacRoman set, others are in Lucida Grande,
others in Hiragino Kaku Gothic, some in Caslon! This happens no
matter how I set my preferences.

If I create a new document, type in a few characters of polytonic
Greek and then go to save the document, the default encoding option
offered me is Chinese (GB 18030)! so it clearly has no idea what is
is meant to be, and until I force the document to a single font, it
remains a mess of bits and pieces from all over the place -- all
Greek, but all from different fonts. So long as the document remains
plain text, it will open every time as the mish-mash I have described.

I'm sure there is a good explanation for this and I can see that 10.2
is a great leap forward, not least in the Unicode department. I'd be
happy to send you samples and screen shots to show the problem. The
fact is that on the face of things, the situation for polytonic Greek
was excellent before Jaguar and extremely confused now for this user.

JD