Since you're dealing with Polytonic Greek, I suppose your original file
is a plain text Unicode.
First of all, the issue with TextEdit showing GB 18030 over Unicode
seems to be a bug in the application.
The logic here is simply selecting a character encoding that can
represent all the characters in the document.
It should always select Unicode over GB 18030 for user's sake.
If GB 18030 annoys you much, you can remove the encoding from the menu.
For the mixed-font selection. The Cocoa Text System tries very hard to
"honor" the original font user selected. In this case opened from a
plain text file, the font is Monaco (you can change the setting in
TextEdit's preference panel). From there, Cocoa looks for the font
character by character preferring the system supplied fonts. As you
discovered, you can always change the font and save as rich text that
preserves the font setting.
Object App Framework
On 2002.8.27, at 07:39 PM, John Delacour wrote:
> On Sat Aug 24 2002 - 13:18:08 EDT Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
>> - Keyboards may be installed by dragging in the Finder to
>> /Library/Keyboard Layouts/, ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts/, or
>> /Network/Library/Keyboard Layouts/, then logging out and logging back
> This is excellent news. I have just succeeded, with the invaluable
> guidance of Alex Eulenberg, in installing a keyboard for polytonic
> Greek that I have been developing and using, until today (when I
> installed Jaguar), in OS 9 and in 10.1.5. This new facility makes it
> simple for anyone with no technical knowledge to install a ready-made
> keyboard layout.
>> - Fonts to support Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Devanagari, Gujarati,
>> Gurmukhi, Polytonic Greek, and Thai (some of these are optional
> Hmm. I wonder if this is what is causing problems. I have three or
> four third party fonts to support polytonic Greek, including Arial
> Unicode MS, which I placed in ~/Library/Fonts/ straight after
> installing Jaguar. I have had no problem working in pGreek in MacOS 9
> and 10.1.5. Until today it was possible to work on the same document
> either in WorldText in Classic or in TextEdit and it was even possible
> to drag pGreek text from WorldText to TextEdit. Text in a document
> was displayed faultlessly in a single font.
> Now, in Jaguar, if I open a plain text pGreek document in TextEdit,
> about half the document is displayed in a clear font with apparently
> only the pi (as always) being borrowed from the ascii set, and the
> rest in a mixture of fonts. Literally as I was writing this, just
> such a document in the background caused the machine to lock me out
> with a rainbow wheel in order to re-display itself in a quite
> different mixture of Greek fonts. If I select a characters I find the
> pi is in Monaco from the MacRoman set, others are in Lucida Grande,
> others in Hiragino Kaku Gothic, some in Caslon! This happens no
> matter how I set my preferences.
> If I create a new document, type in a few characters of polytonic
> Greek and then go to save the document, the default encoding option
> offered me is Chinese (GB 18030)! so it clearly has no idea what is is
> meant to be, and until I force the document to a single font, it
> remains a mess of bits and pieces from all over the place -- all
> Greek, but all from different fonts. So long as the document remains
> plain text, it will open every time as the mish-mash I have described.
> I'm sure there is a good explanation for this and I can see that 10.2
> is a great leap forward, not least in the Unicode department. I'd be
> happy to send you samples and screen shots to show the problem. The
> fact is that on the face of things, the situation for polytonic Greek
> was excellent before Jaguar and extremely confused now for this user.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Wed Aug 28 2002 - 00:52:05 EDT