Re: Summary of Unicode/language features in Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar"

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 03:23:58 EDT

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Thank you very much for this. This kind of succinct no-nonsense
| summary is worth its weight in gold. (Collecting the same
| information through the normal sources might easily consume weeks.)

* Deborah Goldsmith

| Hmmm. Since it was sent electronically, I'm not quite sure what its
| weight in gold would be. :-)

I'm convinced that it's low enough that I can afford it, which is the
main thing. :-)

* Lars Marius Garshol

| It would be nice to know what this means in term of the rendering
| API. Is it possible to display RTL scripts without having the display
| system reverse the text? I hope it is, since without this capability
| proper bidi support is near-impossible to achieve.

* Deborah Goldsmith

| By default, RTL scripts are displayed in compliance with the Unicode
| bidirectional algorithm.

Ouch. That may work in some situations, but for a web browser that can
never work, since the display mechanism will never have enough
information to do this correctly. (Yeah, I'm taking a very narrow view
of this, I know.)

| It is of course possible to override this through use of directional
| override characters.

That might be one approach, but modifying every buffer before it goes
to the display is one complication it would be nice to be able to
avoid.

| It's also possible to use advanced APIs to disable bidi processing.

This sounds like a more appealing option. Do you have more detail on
what this involves? Is there an extra method call for turning it off
or a flag that must be set, or does it require the use of a different
API for rendering?