Re: Summary of Unicode/language features in Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar"

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 16:55:11 EDT

* Lars Marius Garshol

| That function also applies the bidirectional algorithm to the text
| it displays. However, since the application needs to do all manner
| of strange formatting (colouring, interspersed images, first-line
| specials, first-letter specials, base-line adjustments, ...) it
| calls the method word for word, doing the formatting itself.

* Deborah Goldsmith

| This is why ATSUI (Apple's Carbon API for drawing Unicode text) is
| designed to deal with a paragraph at a time, supporting multiple
| fonts, colors, cross-stream shifts, with-stream shifts, baseline
| adjustments, leaving space for embedded images, etc. The new (to
| Jaguar) ATSUI Direct Access API allows direct program intervention
| in the low-level layout process as well.

Yeah, well, to make the application use ATSUI would require the whole
thing to be rewritten, so that's not an option. The idea is good, but
there are certain kinds of applications for which it just doesn't
work, and this is one of them.

We just need a single display function that does glyph shaping and no
more. Is that available somewhere?

| An API that renders Unicode text correctly only when it's all in one
| font isn't terribly useful. :-)

No, I understand that. :)

The trouble is that I very much doubt if ATSUI supports the full
complexity of HTML+CSS formatting, and even if it did using it would
mean having to rewrite the whole display engine of the browser, which
is just not an option.