Re: Romanized Cyrillic bibliographic data--viable fonts?)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 18:02:31 EDT

Curtis Clark <jcclark at mockfont dot net> wrote:

> "Until I converted Jarkko's text, I wondered if he wasn't trying to
> make a Unicode form of rot13, so that readers could choose not to be
> offended. Torsten, when will Unipad support converting the U+xxxx
> format?"

U+xxxx is the standard way to talk about Unicode code points, but it
isn't really a standard escape notation to be inserted into running
text, the way \uxxxx is. But since you mentioned it, here's how I used
UniPad to decrypt Jarkko's message:

1. Paste Jarkko's text into UniPad:
        U+0041 U+006C U+0074 ...

2. Insert a space before the first character -- you'll see why in a
moment.

3. Use search-and-replace to replace " U+" (note leading space) with
"\u":
        \u0041\u006C\u0074 ...

4. Use the existing conversion facility of UniPad to convert this
"ASCII + UCN" text to straight ASCII:
        Alt...

I used to write little custom utilities to do things like this, but
lately it's been easier to just import (or paste) the text into UniPad
in format A and export (or copy) it in format B. Of course, if I have
to do the conversion repeatedly (say once a month), the little utility
still makes sense.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California