Re: Revised proposal for "Missing character" glyph

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 17:50:48 EDT

<Peter_Constable at sil dot org> wrote:

> Something that wouldn't be difficult would be an item that copied data
> to the clipboard, and then displayed character info based on the
> clipboard content.

Hmm, an interesting thought. I would be willing to write a mini-tool
like this, if enough people let me know (on- or off-line) that it would
be useful to them, and provide some suggestions for output formats.

> Of course, one limitation is that apps can alter
> the data before they put it on the clipboard; in fact, an app might
> opt to convert everything to some default codepage and put only that
> on the clipboard.

It would make sense for a Unicode-specific tool such as this to only
accept data in WM_UNICHAR format, not WM_CHAR. Unicode data in WM_CHAR
format is pretty much guaranteed to have gone through some conversion
step.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California