Re: Latin vowels?

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 13:56:31 EDT

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 11:42:00PM +0100, Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin wrote:
> On 2002.09.09, 12:36, Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk>
> wrote:
>
> > I also noticed this (classified as vowel):
> > U+016C # (U) LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH BREVE
> > U+016D # (u) LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH BREVE
> >
> > this is a semivowel :-), at least in Esperanto
>
> Yes, it is. But in Latin (when vowel quantities are shown, by means of
> breves and macrons) it is a vowel, even if a "short" one.

it is also sometimes (not often) used in Old (Church) Slavonic
transliteration for hard yer ъ (which is a vowel)

> > U+00D4 # (Ô) LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH CIRCUMFLEX
> > U+00F4 # (ô) LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH CIRCUMFLEX
> >
> > this is also classified as a semivowel (in Slovak),

/ṷo/, to be precise

also, digraph "ou" is mostly pronounced /oṷ/, so "u" is
a semivowel here

> In Portuguese it is a vowel. It means stressed [o], FWIW.
>
> > though technically it is a glide plus following vowel.
>
> As also the e-hacheck (U+0115 and U+0114) in Czech.

it depends.
After d,t,n it is just plain /e/, but it makes the previous
consonant palatalized.
After other consonants, it is /je/ (glide+vowel)
But after m, it is /ɲe/ (so mě is pronounced /mɲe/)

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |