Re: XML Primer (was Keys. (derives from Re: Sequences of combining characters.))

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 07:24:35 EDT

    Shawn Steele wrote to the unicode@unicode.org list, not directly to me, yet
    began by writing.

    >Mr. Overington,

    There is then a long document of very helpful information, for which I am
    grateful.

    Mr Steele then concludes with the following.

    >I hope that this example improves your understanding of XML and how it may
    be applied to your inventions. As others have mentioned, this topic is
    digressing from the purpose of this message board and would be best
    discussed off line or in a different forum.

    Well, a letter addressed to me could have been sent by private email.

    >- Shawn

    >Shawn Steele
    >Software Developer Engineer
    >Microsoft

    Unfortunately, this is then followed by the following.

    >My comments in no way endorse the original

    Well, that is fine, the letter has been posted to the Unicode list from a
    Microsoft address, so a clarification makes the situation clear just in case
    anyone had thought that in some way it might.

    >and are not intended to confer legitimacy,

    Ah! That is not fine. The original is entirely legitimate and there is no
    need for legitimacy to be conferred at all, also the conferring of
    legitimacy is not something which is within the powers of Microsoft to
    confer, as Microsoft is a corporation and does not vote in public elections,
    let alone have jurisdiction in such matters. Mentioning legitimacy in that
    way in a document from Microsoft, a member of the Unicode Consortium, is
    very unfair.

    >rather they are merely intended to be educational.

    Well, they are merely intended to be educational. No "rather" about it.

    >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,

    Well, that is fine, the letter has been posted to the Unicode list from a
    Microsoft address, so a clarification makes the situation clear just in case
    anyone had thought that in some way it might.

    >and confers no rights.

    What rights are being referred to here?

    William Overington