Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 09:48:36 EDT

    On 09/26/2002 08:55:18 PM Tex Texin wrote:

    >Yes code page was not a good indicator of language, but it was used that
    >way by some applications.
    >
    >And yes, Language should not dominate font selection, it should
    >influence it. Other typographic preferences also must be accomodated.

    I agree.

    >In the case of HTML, XML, CSS, ways to specify typographic preferences
    >exist, and language can be expressed via "lang". We just need browsers
    >and other user agents to make use of the lang information as part of
    >font selection.

    The difficult question is How? Do we want some means (not codepage) to know
    that certain fonts are suited to particular languages? Or do we want to
    make use of smart-font capabilities to allow culturally-preferred glyphs to
    be selected from a font? If the latter, then some more infrastructure still
    needs to be developed within APIs and layout engines.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>