Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 10:37:45 EDT

    Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    > On 09/26/2002 08:55:18 PM Tex Texin wrote:
    > >In the case of HTML, XML, CSS, ways to specify typographic preferences
    > >exist, and language can be expressed via "lang". We just need browsers
    > >and other user agents to make use of the lang information as part of
    > >font selection.
    >
    > The difficult question is How? Do we want some means (not codepage) to know
    > that certain fonts are suited to particular languages?

    Fonts already span multiple languages, so by itself would not work.

    Or do we want to
    > make use of smart-font capabilities to allow culturally-preferred glyphs to
    > be selected from a font? If the latter, then some more infrastructure still
    > needs to be developed within APIs and layout engines.

    I think yes. Whereas api relied on codepages either implicitly or
    explicitly, this needs to be reexamined and language should be allowed
    to play a suitable role in glyph selection and font selection.

    Making e-Business Work Around the World