Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 11:56:00 EDT

    On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    > On 09/26/2002 10:46:42 PM Andrew Cunningham wrote:
    >
    > >For me, this is the crux: that browsers have not implimented the css
    > >:lang selector.

     As I wrote in my response to Tex, css 'lang' pseudo-class is
    honored by MS IE and Mozilla 1.x/Netscape 7.

    > Again, the problem is knowing just *how* they should go about doing this.

      As for 'how', what MS IE and Mozilla do may not be as user-friendly
    as Tex wants them to be, but I think it's pretty reasonable at
    least for CJK. If they're configured to use different Unicode-cmapped
    (non-Pan-script) fonts for TC/SC/J/K (as opposed to pan-script Unicode
    fonts like MS Arial Unicode, Cyberbit), runs of text tagged with TC/SC/J/K
    are rendered with fonts configured for TC,SC,J and K, respectively.

    I guess you already know this much and what you're alluding
    to is a problem of another dimension: developing ( Pan-script
    if necessary/possible) Unicode fonts with multiple lang-depedent
    glyphs (if that's possible at all overcoming/solving various subtles
    issues involved. it seems like selecting lang-dependent glyphs for
    Latin/Cyrillic letters are more difficult than CJK case) and getting
    apps and rendering/font selection library to make use of them. The font
    selection part of these problems is addressed by fontconfig package by
    Keith Packard (http://fontconfig.org). Of course, there should be
    other implementations of/attempts at this problem.

      Jungshik Shin