Re: script or block detection needed for Unicode fonts

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 17:19:25 EDT

    On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 01:19:58PM -0700, Murray Sargent wrote:
    > Michael Everson said:
    > > I don't understand why a particular bit has to be set in
    > > some table. Why can't the OS just accept what's in the font?
    >
    > The main reason is performance. If an application has to check the font
    > cmap for every character in a file, it slows down reading the file.

    Try, for example, opening a file for which you have no font coverage in
    Mozilla on Linux. It will open every font on the system looking for the
    missing characters, and it will take quite a while, accompanied by much
    disk thrashing to find they aren't there.

    --
    David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
    Falshe fridn iz beser vi a rikhtige krig. /