RE: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: jarkko.hietaniemi@nokia.com
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 12:14:55 EDT

    > Sniffing isn't a good idea in the long term. It may work
    > for simple web page serving, but as soon as you go XML and
    > start to move data around without the user having a chance
    > to see it frequently, you'll end up with a big mess.
    >
    > Also, 'guessing' is very ill-defined. You might serve
    > a document to your favorite browser, and it looks okay.
    > But other browsers might guess a bit differently, or
    > a new version of your favorite browser may guess a bit
    > differently, and off you are.

    I agree that 'sniffing' and 'guessing' are ill-defined, and not to be
    relied upon. However, I find it a bit 'ill-defined' that there is no
    well-defined (web server independent) way for the 'users' to override
    the possibly wrong encoding default of the web server. Either way
    (a) the user has to do something web server dependent
    (b) the admin has to do changes to the site config
    seems a bit clunky and fragile.

    Since the current "resolving order" is obviously already deployed out
    there and relied upon by someone, it cannot be changed, but possibly
    something new could be introduced?