Re: Sporadic Unicode revisited

From: Gary P. Grosso (gpg@arbortext.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 16:07:33 EDT

    At 03:22 PM 10/2/2002 , John Cowan wrote:
    >Rick McGowan scripsit:
    >
    > > Both (recent) Windows
    >
    >*Very* recent, which many have not yet adopted.
    >
    > > Both platforms also have other means,
    > > such as the "Character Map" utility of Windows...
    >
    >Using which is a great pain in the rear.

    fwiw, I much prefer the old NT version ("Unicode Character Map") to
    the new Win2000 version ("Character Map") -- both charmap.exe -- and
    have copied the old one to my Win2000 machine where it runs fine (but
    the Win2000 version does not run on NT... no great loss). This seemed
    worth mentioning, but I don't dispute the posterior discomfort still
    remains.

    The old version properly shows Unicode blocks and missing characters,
    whereas the new version runs everything together.

    ---
    Gary Grosso
    ggrosso@arbortext.com
    Arbortext, Inc.