Re: ISO 8859-11 (Thai) cross-mapping table

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 11:11:21 EDT

    Arthit Suriyawongkul <Arthit dot Suriyawongkul at Sun dot COM> wrote:

    >> These 9 code positions (0xA0, 0xDB..0xDE, 0xFC..0xFF) appear to be
    >> undefined in TIS 620.2533. Reference [3] below does show a "word
    >> separator character" at 0xDC, which I interpret as U+200B ZERO WIDTH
    >> SPACE, but the other positions are still undefined. So this may not
    >
    > does it mean 0xA0 / U+00A0 ?

    As you mentioned in your other message, ISO/IEC 8859-11 does assign
    U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE to code position 0xA0, but TIS 620 does not.

    If you are asking whether the "word separator character" I mentioned
    should be U+00A0, I don't think that would be a good idea for Thai since
    U+00A0 is supposed to be rendered as a visible space (like U+0020) but
    without breaking lines between the surrounding words. My understanding
    is that visible spaces are not used in Thai. So U+00A0 would do exactly
    the wrong thing for Thai, whereas U+200B would do the right thing
    (indicating a word boundary without displaying a space). This is also
    officially recommended by the Unicode Standard.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California