Re: FW: "MR" in superscript - Spanish translation for "TM"

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 00:28:26 EDT

    ----- Message d'origine -----
    De : "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>
    Envoyé : 10 oct. 2002 23:34

    > Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:
    >
    > > There is no character encoded in Unicode which is a superscript
    > > capital M with capital R. I have never seen MR set in type in the
    > > same way that TM is, and indeed the abbreviation seems a bit doubtful
    > > to me. (Marca Registrada is usually used for 'registered (trade)ark'
    > > while "trademark" proper is 'marca de fábrica'.) For "Registered
    > > Trademark" you can use the circled R.

    <sup>MD </sup> (« marque déposée ») is quite often used in Canada to
    translate ®

    See SIGAL<sup>MD</sup> in
    http://wwww.technomedia.ca/website/Francais/SIGAL_desc.htm and its English
    translation
    http://wwww.technomedia.ca/website/English/Architecture_sigal.htm

    See RailRoader<sup>MD</Sup> in
    http://www.cn.ca/productsservices/roadrailer/fr_KFRoadRailer.shtml and its
    English translation
    http://www.cn.ca/productsservices/roadrailer/en_KFRoadRailer.shtml

    I do not believe this is used in France.

    For TM, the recommended French abbreviation in Canada is <sup>MC</sup> («
    marque de commerce » ). Ideally the MD and MC should be in small caps.

    http://www.granddictionnaire.com/_fs_global_01.htm?fonction=recherche&parten
    aire=Olf&id_langue=1&recherche=Trademark

    See http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/fr/amquablo/bafl/index.cfm and its English
    translation
    http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/imquaf/flho/index.cfm

    P. Andries