Forming Coptic Numbers in Unicode

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 00:44:51 EDT

     ----- Message d'origine -----
     De : "Daniel Yacob" <unicode@geez.org>

    > Greetings,
    >
    > To compose coptic numerals under Unicode I've applied the appropriate
    > lowercase letters in the Greek-Coptic range with the elements from the
    > Combining Diacritical Marks: U+0304, U+0331 and U+0347. I had no basis
    > to choose these diacritical symbols upon other than they seemed to get
    > the job done visually. What are the "approved" symbols for composing
    > coptic numbers portably?

     May I ask what is your source for using these diacritics ? George Ifrah (in
    vol. 1, fig 17.48, uses only macrons (1 for 1..900, 2 for 100..900 000).
    George Ifrah gives as references A. Mallon, Grammaire copte, Beyrouth, 1956
    and W.C. Till, Koptische Grammatik, Leipzig, 1955. I do not see when U+0331
    would be used.

     See also http://www.geocities.com/remenkimi/lesson6.html (bars above).
    Same here http://mycopticchurch.com/coptic/lesson2.asp.

     I suppose a good article on this topic could be « Les chiffres coptes » by
    Messiha Hechmat in Le Monde Copte 24: 25-28, 1994.
    http://eocf.free.fr/revue_monde_copte.htm

    > Next question; what does one do for character codes to show values
    > over a billion? If there is no official sanctioned solution, it
    > occured to me that the diacritic symbols could simply accumulate
    > following the lowercase char for interchange and then be presented
    > graphically.

     Add additional macrons ?

     P. Andries
     - o - O - o -