Re: Origin of the term i18n

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 16:21:36 EDT

    At 12:20 -0700 2002-10-11, Mark Davis wrote:

    >I find this particular way of forming abbreviations particularly ugly and
    >obscure. It is also usually unnecessary; looking at any of the messages
    >brought up by Google, the percentage of 'saved' keystrokes is a very small
    >proportion of the total count. And when it leaks out into the general
    >programmer community, it just looks odd.
    >
    >For me, it is on the same order as using "nite" for "night", or "cpy" for
    >"copy".

    I think it's annoying as well. As is the tendency to prefix "e-" to
    everything in sight. There's a shop in Dublin which does "etail",
    apparently this is a reverse truncation of "retail". Ugh.

    48B Gleann na Carraige; Cill Fhionntain; Baile Átha Cliath 13; Éire
    Telephone +353 86 807 9169 * * Fax +353 1 832 2189 (by arrangement)