Re: Origin of the term i18n/top 10 list

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 17:08:20 EDT

    Guys,
    Poor Mark was just expressing a preference, it hardly requires a debate.
    And he was right to correct my comment about numeronyming (can I make it
    a verb?) not being a trend. Probably creating them is a trend. Actually
    using them seems to be rare. (I have been doing a few more searches
    after Mark's mail. I am starting to wonder if search engines parse
    strings like "i18n" correctly or perhaps throw them away as
    uninteresting for search purposes.)

    However, if we must debate the value of i18n vs. internationalization,
    let's make it more interesting.
    For example, I will express my reasons for being the i18nguy instead of
    the internationalizationguy or the internationalizationmalehumanbeing or
    the intn'lguy as a top 10 list. (Would you abbreviate that acronymically
    as T10L or numeronymically as t10t now?)

    Here is:

    The I18nGuy's top ten list of "reasons Tex chose to be I18nGuy":

    10: Size- I18nGuy fits on a license plate, parking space, bus. card.

    9: Accessibility- Even if Dave had broken both thumbs he still has
    enough digits left to count to 18.

    8: Collation- It sorts ahead of L10nGuy

    7: Uniqueness- Contractions like "In'l'n" means something else in
    Hawaiian. (Somebody tell me what it means.)

    6: Secrecy- Brits and Ozzies can't tell from the spelling I am American!

    5: Panache- It gives me an air of mystery!

    4: G11n- In Turkey, there are only 2 spellings, with and without the dot
    on the "i", instead of 16! (4 i's in i18n)

    3: Style- I can order my drinks "shaken, not stirred" like that other
    numeronym: 007

    2: Speed- Typing i18n instead of internationalization, get's me back to
    the bar faster...

    And the number one reason, I went with "I18nGuy"...

    1: Dollars- Saving a fortune paying by the letter for personal ads
    "seeking I18nDoll"

    ;-)

    OK, I am going back to the bar...
    i18nguy

    David Possin wrote:

    > I am thankful that these short forms exist, as I must use them a lot in my
    > work where space is priceless: charts, tables, project plans, etc.
    >
    > Not only does it save a lot of time (especially now where I can type only
    > with 1.5 hands - broken thumb) but it looks more neat in overall
    > documentation. I agree, in a text or book I would not necessarily use them
    > if I wasn't sure who the readers are and what their level of knowledge in
    > our area is.
    >
    > Definitely better than InTeRn@i*nAlIÊ’@i*n which OE automatically identifies
    > as an email address ...
    >
    > Dave