Re: Character identities

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 12:46:54 EDT

    At 06:47 AM 24-10-02, Otto Stolz wrote:

    >David J. Perry had written:
    >>An OpenType font that is smart enough to substitute a long s glyph at the
    >>right spots is the much superior long-term solution.
    >
    >This will not work, cf. infra.

    To be accurate, it works for display of English but not for German. The
    British convention for using the long-s can be handled contextually,
    because it does not need to consider whether the letter is occuring at the
    beginning or end of a syllable. We've implemented this successfully in
    OpenType fonts using the Historical Forms <hist> feature. German presents a
    much more difficult problem.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467