[OT] em dash absent from Latin-1/Latin-9 and keyboards, why ?

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 20:21:52 EDT

    I have an off-topic question -- well, maybe not so much since questions have been asked about dashes -- related to the absence of the em dash/en dash from the Latin-1/Latin-9 character sets.

    Why are those dashes (actually either one of the two is useful in French) absent from keyboards and Latin-1/Latin-9 character sets ?

    These large dashes seem much more useful in most European languages than the ¦ character, for instance (which I have never seen in everyday texts).

    P. Andries