RE: Character identities

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@md.chalmers.se)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 08:04:03 EDT

    >... Like it or not, superscript e *is* the
    > same diacritic
    > that later become "¨", so there is absolutely no violation of
    > the Unicode
    > standard. Of course, this only applies German.

    Font makers, please do not meddle with the authors intent
    (as reflected in the text of the document!). Just as it
    is inappropriate for font makers to use an ĝ glyph for ö
    (they are "the same", just slightly different derivations
    from "o^e"), it is just as inappropriate for font makers to
    use a "o^e" glyph for ö (by default in a Unicode font). Though
    in some sense the "same" they are still different enough for
    authors to care, and it is up to the document author/editor
    to decide, not the font maker.

    > From: jameskass@att.net

    >... We've implemented this successfully in
    > OpenType fonts using the Historical Forms <hist> feature.

    If the "umlaut" to "overscript e" transformation is put under
    this feature for some fonts, I see no major reason to complain...
    (As others have noted, it does not really work for the long s,
    unless the language is labelled 'en'...)

            /Kent K