Re: Character identities

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 08:05:18 EDT

    At 02:46 10/26/2002, William Overington wrote:

    >I don't know whether you might be interested in the use of a small letter a
    >with an e as an accent codified within the Private Use Area, but in case you
    >might be interested, the web page is as follows.
    >
    >http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/ligatur5.htm
    >
    >I have encoded the a with an e as an accent as U+E7B4 so that both variants
    >may coexist in a document encoded in a plain text format and displayed with
    >an ordinary TrueType font.

    If anyone were interested, he could do this himself and use any codepoint
    in the Private Use Area. Maybe it is time to include a note in the Unicode
    Standard to suggest that 'Private' Use Area means that one should keep it
    to oneself and not keep pestering other people about one's private use of it.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467