Re: Character identities

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 15:36:08 EST

    >On 2002.10.28, 13:09, David Starner <starner@okstate.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > Basically, any decorative or handwriting font can't be a Unicode font.
    ><...>
    > > Seems pointless to tell a lot of the fontmakers out there that they
    > > shouldn't worry about Unicode, because Unicode's only for standard
    > > book fonts

    Hello? Who says decorative or handwriting fonts can't be Unicode fonts?
    I've got dozens of fonts on my system that prove this wrong. Zapfino, which
    ships with OS X and which I had the privilege to work on, is about as
    decorative a handwriting font as you could wish for, and of course it has a
    Unicode cmap.

    Or are you working with some definition of 'Unicode font' other than 'font
    with a Unicode cmap'?

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467