RE: Character identities

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 16:27:29 EST

    Michael asked:

    > My eyes have glazed over reading this discussion. What am I being
    > asked to agree with?

    Here's the executive summary for those without the time to
    plow through the longer exchange:

    Marco: It is o.k. (in a German-specific context) to display
           an umlaut as a macron (or a tilde, or a little e above),
           since that is what Germans do.

    Kent: It is *not* o.k. -- that constitutes changing a character.

    [Sorry, guys, if I have ridden roughshod over the nuances... ;-)]

    Michael, you might have to recuse yourself, however, since when
    it was suggested that displaying Devanagari characters with
    snowpeaked glyphs for a Nepali hiking company would be o.k.,
    you misunderstood and suggested private use characters!

    --Ken