RE: New Charakter Proposal

From: Dominikus Scherkl (Dominikus.Scherkl@glueckkanja.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 13:48:30 EST

    Markus Scherer wrote:
    > Dominikus Scherkl wrote:
    > > My other suggestion (and the main reason to call the proposed
    > > charakter "source failure indicator symbol" (SFIS)) was intended
    > > especaly for mall-formed utf-8 input that has overlong encodings.
    > This is a special, custom form of error handling - why assign
    > a character for it?
    Converting from and to utf-8 is an all-day topic, very important
    for all applications handling with unicode. So it is a special
    case, but very common.
    Therefore it would be nice to have a standardized - application
    independend - error handling for it. Also it is a mechanism
    useful for many other charsets beeing converted do unicode.

    > You could just use an existing character or non-character for
    > this, e.g., U+303E or U+FFFF or U+FDEF or similar.
    This is what I do meanwhile. But it's uncomfortable, because
    most editors display all non-characters, unassigned characters
    or charakters not in the font all the same way - which hides
    the INDICATION. The SFIS should be displayed to remind the reader
    only THIS is a SFIS unlike all the other empty suqares in the
    text.

    Additional I think we should have a standardized way to display
    old utf-8 text without losing information (overlong utf-8 was
    allowed for years) - gyphing is not a fine way and simply
    decoding the overlong forms is not allowed. This is a self-made
    problem, so unicode should provide an inherent way to solve it.

    Best regards

    --
    Dominikus Scherkl
    dominikus.scherkl@glueckkanja.com