Re: ct, fj and blackletter ligatures

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 18:17:07 EST

    Thomas Lotze scripsit:

    > Regardless of how the document is coded, the fact remains that ligature
    > glyph shapes have to be stored in the font, at some code point.

    No, this is an error. It is not the case that every glyph in the font
    must correspond to a single Unicode character. Some glyphs may very
    well be invoked by the font engine in order to render a sequence of
    Unicode characters -- modern fonts contain tables that indicate when
    this should be done.

    By the same token, a single character may have multiple glyphs to be
    used in different circumstances, again based on the font's tables.

    --
    John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
        "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram