Re: A .notdef glyph

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 18:05:50 EST

    At 12:57 11/7/2002, Michael Everson wrote:

    >Apple's LastResort font uses a rounded box for all of its glyphs, with
    >letters and other things inside them. The Last Resort .notdef glyph has a
    >number of backslash diagonals filling the interior of the rounded box.
    >Quite effective.

    I think the .notdef glyph in the conext of the Last Resort font serves a
    slightly different purpose, since it is not indicating only an absent glyph
    but an undefined character code. I agree that it is an effective design,
    cleverly combining the rounded frame convention established by the other
    glyphs in the font with the back-hatched fill convention familiar from the
    Unicode glyph charts to indicate a reserved or otherwise undefined codepoint.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467