Re: A .notdef glyph

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 20:19:49 EST

    >I think the .notdef glyph in the conext of the Last Resort font serves a
    >slightly different purpose, since it is not indicating only an absent glyph
    >but an undefined character code.

    That's true, it makes no distinction. The context is a system that
    normally searches all available fonts for a glyph at the given codepoint.
    If you see the .notdef glyph it is telling you that "no font installed on
    your system has a glyph for this codepoint." There are also different
    glyphs that appear for the PUA codepoints, for illegal codepoints, and in a
    few other cases.