Lunate, Terminal, and Medial Sigma

From: P. T. Rourke (ptrourke@methymna.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 09:00:59 EST

    >“φιλοσ.,” is necessarily the abreviation of some word (like
    > φιλοσοφία) while “φιλος.” is a single non-abbreviated word, followed
    > by a sentence period.

    This is the compelling argument, which Nick made in his note on sigma as
    well, and which I had forgotten. So while I have to admit that this
    argument is compelling, I do still think that lunate sigma (which is the
    same glyph for both word positions) is going to cause real problems with
    normalization. It is not those who follow the Unicode specifications
    who worry me, it's those who do not. Thanks to Jim Allen and as often
    to Nick.

    For the details of the process which is described in a somewhat
    simplified way by Katerina Sarri, one can look to the examples in
    *Thompson*, An Introduction to Greek and Latin Palaeography.

    PTR